2.13.2009

#42) Chocolate Heart Cake


Well guys, it's almost love day <3

We had an awesome activity at school today for the kids to kick off the love-fest that is Valentine's Day - a cake auction!!!!

Now, I am a cake lover, and I do not discriminate, BUT scratch cakes are the best, and when they are chocolate they are even better - so what better kind to offer up to the cake auction gods than a dark, rich, and moist chocolate cake????

I know the decorating leaves much to be desired, but I am only learning (this is only the 2nd cake I have ever decorated). Please send me along any tips or hints to make it easier or prettier :)

Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp strong coffee
1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Steps

-Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour your pan.
-Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, yogurt, and coffee.
-Sift together dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients in three additions, mixing well after each addition. (Try not to lick the spoon yet!!!)
-Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
-Let cool completely before frosting.

Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp milk

Steps

-Cream shortening and butter together. Add vanilla. Mix.
-Add icing sugar in several additions, mixing well after each addition.
-Mix in milk.
-Decorate :)

6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cake, perfect for Valentines!

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like something I will have to try, the only cake I have ever made from scratch was my Grandma's carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's impressive decorating for someone so new to it!
    Maybe try some of those little flowers in different colors and shades sprinkled around.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job decorating! Better than anything I could do! ;)

    ReplyDelete