1.27.2010

#71) Greek Shortbread



This lovely looking sweet treat also played a part in my New Year's cookie buffet, too. Although everybody else seemed to favour the Dirty Bottoms, I actually prefer these guys. I am a shortbread lover and I like pretty much all varieties, but this one was really great because it had a great texture and a crumb that melted the second it hit your tongue, and the sweetness from the icing sugar is, well, the "icing on the cake!"

Give 'em a go and let me know what you think :)

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 tsp vanilla (I used homemade vanilla that was given to me as a Christmas gift and it was awesome! Thanks Laura :))
2 3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Steps

-Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.

-Beat together butter and icing sugar. Add egg yolk and vanilla.

-Sift in flour and baking powder. Beat until combined then knead with hands until smooth.

-Roll into small balls (about 2 dozen) and place on cookie sheets. Flatten with hand.

-Bake for 15 minutes, or until pale golden brown.

-Meanwhile, sift icing sugar onto falt plate. Place hot cookies in icing sugar. Let sit for 3 minutes and then sift more icing sugar over top.

-Let cool completely.

5 comments:

  1. More often than not it is the simplest treats that taste the best. These look like they wouldn't let anyone down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! These cookies look so yummie, very tasty and buttery :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh yeah! greek cookies in the house! representin'! ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! I love shortbread in pretty much any form, so I am sure I will like these!

    ReplyDelete