Move over "Plain Jane" brownies, there's a new "Queen B." in town!
I have professed, often and loudly, my love for brownies here on the blog and anyone who has perused my past recipes would have picked up a
somewhat blatantly obvious adoration for any possible chocolate and peanut butter combination. What you probably wouldn't pick up on is that this pure love of brownies, chocolate, and peanut butter is a family thing, meaning my dad, my brother, and my son also love this addictive combination. (My mom is on the fence about it, so we are on the fence about her... Joking mother!) So it goes without saying that when we are all together there really is no other option for sweet treat flavor combos. If you'd like to check out some of our past chocolate and peanut butter sweet treats, click here.
Now on to the details behind the new "Queen B." of the brownie world - a chewy brownie made with 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate filled with pockets of barely baked peanut butter cookies slathered in a dreamy peanut butter chocolate frosting and sprinkled with crushed salted peanuts! Are you hooked yet?
There are a few steps involved and it takes great restraint to not eat the batter and lick every utensil you use along the way, but it will be well worth it when you take an all-encompassing bite of the finished product :) So dive in and give them a go, you'll be glad you did!
Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
- Mix together butter, sugar, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in peanut butter.
- Add flour and baking powder. Mix until incorporated. Cookie dough will be loose.
- Refrigerate 15-30 minutes, until firm and can be rolled into balls.
- Roll chilled dough into balls (1 tablespoon per ball); you should get 11 total. Place on cookie sheet lined with wax paper and freeze for 30 minutes.
*While cookie dough balls are freezing, clean up those dishes and make the brownie batter :)
1 cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp flour
- Line 8"x8" baking pan with foil and coat with spray oil. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in microwave-safe bowl at 25 second increments, stirring well after each interval. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla with hand mixer until pale. Stir in melted chocolate and butter.
- Gently fold in flour, mixing just until no white streaks remain. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Remove peanut butter cookie dough balls from freezer and place 9 of the balls in the brownie batter, evenly spaced. Cut the last two balls in half and fill any voids in the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out with some sticky batter remaining.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then, using the foil edges, lift the brownies out of the pan and let cool completely on cooling rack.
Now on to that frosting...
Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosting
3 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
1 tbsp peanut butter
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
- With hand mixer on low, mix together butter, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and vanilla.
- Add icing sugar gradually.
- Add milk until you reach the desired consistency - spreadable :)
- Spread evenly over top of cooled brownies
*To have a smooth surface to spread the frosting over I inverted the brownies onto a platter and spread the frosting over the "bottom" of the brownies.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup crushed, salted peanuts.
And there you have it, ladies and gentleman. The "Queen B." of brownies... or maybe that should be "Queen PB" :)